was a forerunner of Cobalt and was located six miles southwest of
what's left of the current town site. A number of the more sound buildings
left after operations shut down again in 1960 were moved intact to
is located on Panther Creek and was named after the mineral that once
was- and may be again- mined there.
along Panter Creek, 12.6 km (7.8 mi) NNW of Opal Lake and 13.7 km
(8.5 mi) SW of Blackbird Townsite
Limhi (Lemhi) was founded in 1855 by Mormon missionaries from Salt
Lake City, Utah. The name was in honor of an important king in the
Book of Mormon. It might be an exaggeration to include this settlement
as a Ghost Town, because it only boasted 39 inhabitants at its peak
and lasted less than 3 years. On the other hand, it is the namesake
of Lemhi County, and the current town of Lemhi, which was granted
a post office in 1870.
was founded in 1872, and became a town in 1877 after gold was discovered.
Named after Army Colonel Gibbon, it was once known as Dahlongi and
is commonly referred to as Gibtown. It is located approximately 15
miles south of Lost Trail Pass on U.S. Highway 93 on the North Fork
of the Salmon River. There are currently about 100 people living there,
so it may be premature to call it a Ghost Town.
George Kerns, a German immigrant, was one of the early owners of what
is now known as the Broken Arrow. He decided that Gibbonsville was
in need of a local brewery and applied for water rights on July 6,
1897, in order to begin his operation. Kerns
Brewery, at its peak, supplied 13 Gibbonsville and surrounding area
taverns. Thirsty patrons came from all over Lemhi County and Montana
to enjoy the brew. Broken Arrow has had a variety of businesses as
well as many name changes over the years. Kerns Brewery became a Texaco
gas station in 1926. A store and cafe and cabins were built in 1926
and the RV park was added in the '50's.
was named for John T. Gilmer who was a partner in the Gilmer and Salisbury
Stage Company. Its name was misspelled by the Post Office in Washington,
in 1903, when they established a post office there. Gilmore is now
a ghost mining town located 17 miles southeast of Leadore. Silver
and lead were discovered in the area in 1879 and the mining district
was organized in 1880. Ore was originally shipped from the area by
wagon. Between 1902 and 1980 Gilmore shipped 6,700 tons of lead bullion
and 325,000 ounces of silver. The Gilmore and Pittsburgh Railroad
was constructed in 1910 to export large quantities of these medals.
The first year's rail shipment equaled the combined total of all previous
years. The activities of the Gilmore mines were the incentive for
the building of a railroad to Salmon with a spur to Gilmore for hauling
ore to the Oregon Shoreline for shipment to the smelter. The 1929
financial crash caused the Gilmore mines to cease operation. The Gilmore
and Pittsburgh Railroad became less useful and stopped its run in
1939. The track was torn up and the scrap metal sold to an agent of
the Japanese government about a year before Pearl Harbor. The
town of Gilmore once had seven saloons, three stores, two hotels,
two dance halls, two trucking companies, a two-room school and a bank.
The population was about 500 people. A power plant explosion combined
with the Depression finally brought activities to an end in 1929.
was first known as Tenderfoot, but when the town was finally established
in 1866, Northern sympathizers from the Civil War insisted on calling
the town Grantsville.
is another deserted mining town that is nearly lost to history. It
was named for a man from Missouri who built a smelter there in 1907.
Located seven miles southeast of Gilmore, it apparently was an unofficial
postal relay station for the miners on Spring Mountain. Boosting a
peak population of 100, the settlement gained official status as a
town with the establishment of a post office in 1909. Two years later
the post office was permantly closed.
, another settlement that has given up the ghost, hosted many of the
men who worked at the kilns which supplied the smelter at Nicholia
was established shortly after discovery of Viola Mine near Nicholia.
It no longer exists.
Idaho is located near the 7,572 foot Gilmore Summit. The area of a
few hundred souls, while somewhat isolated, retains a rich history
intertwined with ranching, mining and a railroad. The estimated population,
in 2003, was 88. Junction, which was first settled in 1871, can be
considered the predecessor of Leadore. Its first settlers were "Grandpa"
Stevenson, and his wife Minerva, who migrated west in order to escape
the turmoil of the Civil War in Missouri. From the publication Early
History of the Upper Lemhi Valley, by Clara Prouix, we learn some
details about these early pioneers and their town. It was Stevenson
who constructed the one of the few remaining buildings in Junction
and called it the "high house". He served as the first postmaster
of the town, under President Ulysses S. Grant, and established a blacksmith
shop, livery barn and lastly, the Junction Hotel. When Stevenson's
wife Minerva died, he decided to stay on in the area, and sent for
his widowed sister, Susan Clark, who was the mother of seven children.
Other settlers came, built log homes on the wide open spaces and engaged
in cattle ranching. In 1910, the railroad was constructed to haul
out the rich ore which was plentiful at that time. However, one holdout
over railroad right-of-way caused the town of Junction to be bypassed
by a distance of two miles. The town of Junction faded into ghost
town status, while Leadore flourished, even boasting of its own newspaper
at one time. Because the town of Leadore was established near the
railroad, it increased in size and serves today as the main community
in the area, despite the fact that the railroad was abandoned over
50 years ago. One can still see the old railroad bed, which was pulled
up in 1940, if you head south from Leadore to the mining community
of Gilmore on Gilmore Summit. Many of the descendants of the early
settlers still live in the county today.
was named for a lead mine that supported it, and located just east
of Leadore. All that is left of the town are several mine adits and
a couple of cabins.
is a sister town of Grantsville and situated less than a mile away
on the same main road. It was inhabited mostly by men from the southern
states, hence the name.
was named for Ralph Nichols, managing engineer of the Viola Mining
Company. Located at the mouth of Smelter Gulch about 15 miles northeast
of Lone Pine, this town boasted a post office from 1884 to 1916. Its
heydey was from 1882 through 1894, when the mine produced 25 % of
all the lead in the United States.
was a small community located southwest of Gilmore and was first settled
in 1885. The origin of the name is the Reno family, but there is some
discussion as to just whom the distinction should belong. Some credit
Frank Reno, an early rancher is the area, while others believe the
first postmistress, Agnes B. Reno is the more likely candidate.
City, commonly just called Salmon, was laid out in 1867, and is
the county seat of Lemhi County. The first house in Salmon was the
Van Dreff house on the corner east of the Historical Museum. A log
schoolhouse was built in 1867 where the Havemann's warehouse now
stands. The first school teacher was Fanny Price.
The entire block from the museum to the river was once Chinatown,
occupied by Chinese miners from Leesburg, who wintered in Salmon.
A Chinese store stood where the Museum is now located. On the corner
a Chinese laundry was busy summer and winter. The first brick building
was the livery barn of George Wentz and Jacob Finstur. The barn
was owned in later years by Thomas Kane and William Mulkey; George
Kingsbury and is now occupied by the Rivers' Edge Complex. Frank
Pollard owned the brick kiln that furnished brick for the first
church, the Shoup building, the McNutt block, the Lincoln school,
and several dwellings. The Shoup building was finished in 1884-1885.
The first floor was for general mercantile business. The second
floor were offices and a large hall for an auditorium. The third
floor was the Masonic Hall. The Odd Fellow's Hall of the 1870's
is now occupied by the Kay's Hallmark store. The Odd Fellows used
the second floor. The first floor was used as a school until the
frame schoolhouse was built. At that point, the first floor became
the offices of the county auditor and recorder and the probate judge.
The first post office was in Peter Amonson's shoe shop. M.M. McPherson
was the postmaster. Frank Pollard and William O'Connell built the
old Episcopal Church in 1903, from stone quarried in the old Shoup
quarry west of Salmon. The 2 stone masons went on to build the Catholic
Church from the same stone in 1908.
, found about 40 miles down river from Salmon, was once a prosperous
mining town with a population of over 600. While the town has long
since tumbled down, the post office which was established in 1883,
still exists today and serves residents who live up and down the Corn
Creek Road. The community was named for George L. Shoup, territorial
about three miles from Leesburg, was founded in 1866 by William Smith,
one of the original discoverers of gold in the Leesburg basin. The
town died in 1870, the same year Smith was killed by Jim Hayden in
a gunfight in Salmon City.
City came into being in 1867 when James Glendenning mapped it out.
Located about six miles east of Leesburg, the town probably never
had more than 400 citizens. Named for its elevation, records of its
demise are sketchy at best.
town. No information available.
which still has a few buildings, may have been one of the most overrated
gold mines in Idaho. A number of rumors persist, but one of the most
stated is that the Yellowjacket discovery had been 'salted.'